[TBS_ALERT class=”success” heading=”Workshop open notebook”]Use this google doc during the workshop[/TBS_ALERT]
Create a CartoDB account
- Go to the CartoDB sign up page.
Create your first map
- Look for the following button:
- Choose “Data library”, then click on the search (magnifying glass)
- In the search box, enter “earthquake”
- Find the dataset titled “Realtime Earthquakes” provided by the U.S. Geological Survey. Click on it and press the Create Map button.
Understand DATA vs MAP view
Customize your map
- Click on the “wizards” icon on the right
- Scroll until you find “BUBBLE” as a map option and select it
- For column, choose “mag” (magnitude)
- Experiment with the various options made available to you and note the changes on your map
- For interactive functionalities, play with the settings
Export your map
- Experiment with the various functionalities to create a layout for your map
- Export your map image, and copy the map into the class notebook map gallery!
Adding your own data
- Download the class dataset: LA Times Photo Archive
- In CartoDB, go back to your dashboard. If you are in DATA or MAP edit mode, click on the bent arrow at the top left of your window:
- If you are in Maps view, switch to Datasets view
- Click on the new dataset button
- Add the class dataset and connect dataset